Monday, October 28, 2019

Day One. We Are Doing This.

The purpose of this diary is to publicly document my navigation of the physical demands and challenges training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Intrepid Arnis-Eskrima (Filipino Martial Art), as I jump into 50.

I am part of a group of women in the 50+ club who are not content to sit back and let age and menopause issues dictate our day, our life, our well-being, and definitely not our training.  I descend from a line of women who are blessed with strong health and a default setting of perseverance.  As I walk the red carpet into my second 50 years, I plan on maximizing my genetics, any less effort is wasting the gift.  

Here is how I will structure this diary; each day I'll log what I eat, (I am not counting calories),  my workout or rest, and how I feel overall each day.  Tracking the "feel" part is obviously a major challenge as it relates to my menstrual cycle, because my periods are completely irregular.  This year, I had a period in January, then a hint of a period for 1/2 a day in May, then at the end of August I had a period that was like a torrential downpour in January, in Seattle.  Since then, I've been on a schedule of every 22 days.

Today, and for the last two weeks, I have been nursing a work injury, so I won't be logging stats for another few days. My life the last several days has been a flurry of the chiropractor, the massage therapist, the acupuncturist, and my Netflix account.   I'll get back to some light training this week, and next week I'll be back in the saddle (fingers crossed).

My long term hope for this diary is that someone of the research and science ilk takes notice and decides to begin studying groups women over 50 who train at a level of intensity designed to push the envelope of what's been done thus far.    

I am calling this Light The Ground, because that's my goal, to light up this ground ahead.  I want the world to be flooded with so many age 50+ athletes that we demand attention.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment